Cosmetic Smile Analysis
Cosmetic Dentistry, Smile Makeover, New Windsor
Cosmetic dentistry is one of the most exciting and rewarding aspects of my practice. I believe all dentistry including implants, crowns, bridges and even dentures should be performed with a cosmetic goal in mind. Dental esthetics can be thought of as the science and art of improving and harmonizing smiles in an inconspicuous manner.
There are many ways to analyze your smile. As a first step, you might ask yourself “What would I change about my smile if I had a magic wand?”
Another approach we often employ at our office is to take a photo of your smile and view it on a computer. We discuss possible changes and enhancements. Then, using computer imaging, we execute these changes and print “Before and After” photos for our patients to view.
Another approach we do chairside is called a “mock-up”. Using a very light adhesive, bonding composite is used to lengthen, straighten, lighten and close spaces. The patient is able to view how these changes can transform their smile. The mock-up is then easily removed after viewing with the patient.
Smile Evaluation Questions
Smile evaluation is a great way to force you to reveal the way your smile affects your self-esteem, personal relationships, or even business relationships.
- Do you think whiter, straighter teeth will make you feel better or smile more often?
- Do you open up magazines and wish you had the smile like the stars, do you wonder how they were so blessed to have perfect smiles?
- Are you afraid of laughing hard because people might see your teeth?
- If you could have the smile you dreamed of, how would you feel?
- Do people ever compliment you about your smile?
Technical Smile Evaluation
For a technical smile evaluation, you need to forget about the emotion and just look at the facts! This can be done in front of the mirror and should be done in a well-lit area.
- Do you have gaps or spaces in your teeth?
- Do you need to replace any missing teeth?
- Do you have spots on your teeth or any inconsistencies?
- Are your teeth crooked or uneven?
- Are your teeth balanced?
- Do you have old crowns that are dark at the gumline?
- Is your smile gummy?
- Do you have unsightly silver fillings that make your teeth look gray or darker than the rest?